Re: [squid-users] Squid and slow Uploads (POST)

From: Marco Koch <koma666@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 19:52:28 +0200

Hi,

I didn't tested a browser on the squid, because it is the firewall/router
and the only browser installed is lynx, which doesn't support uploads
(AFAIK). Downloading works fine.

But:
From LAN -> INET with SNAT everything works fine and fast
From LAN -> DMZ with SNAT everything works fine and fast
From DMZ -> INET only routed everything works fine and fast

But if I tell the browser in the LAN to use the squid, everything works fine
and fast, form postings (e.g. login to webmailer) works fine, only uploading
files are very very slow, but they work. Ok, speead of about 2400bit/s on a
100Mbit/s line are not sooo cool ;-(

I have testet the following configuration:
squid 2.4stable7 and squid 2.5stable3 (transparent and non-transparent mode)
I tested different sites and http and https!

Another customer wiht a linux-fw connected to the same provider also with a
100Mbit/s connection, the same squid.conf (ok different IP-Adresses), the
same compiling options, and nearly the same firewall-script doesn't have
these problems!

Also this problem appears when the firewall is down, and the provider told
me that there are no restrictions for the subnet of our customer.

And where exactly is the difference between http-transfer and http-upload
via post? AFAIK the post-data is transferred in the http-header like normal
http-traffic, or is there a difference?

And why is posting also slow to a directly connected http-server ( (squid
box) - (switch) - (http-server) )? And I also have this problem with IIS and
Apache-servers.

As mentioned in the FAQ, /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn is = 0.

Is there a possibility to debug squid (like squid -k debug) to see why this
is soo slow?

Thanks in advance
Marco

--------------
Hi,

the squid is directly connected to the internet , no parents.

The problem occurs when trying to connect to local resources (from the LAN
in the DMZ) and also when trying to connect to remote ressources (in the
internet).

Another customer (also connected via fiber to the same provider) does not
have these problems. Everything works fine ... and fast on a P166 with 64MB
RAM.

On this computer (PIII-450 with 256 MB RAM) this does not work. Ok, surfing
works very fine and fast ... only uploading via a web-frontend (http - post)
works very slowly.

Nearly always I get a timeout , but sometimes uploading a 100k file works,
but takes about 2 minutes.

The squid is installed directly on the main firewall/router with SuSE 8.1.

Both, the 2.5er and the 2.4er version of squid are compiled without any
options (except --prefix=/usr/local/squid). And as I said, without using
squid the connections are really fast, even uploading via http-post ...

And the same squid (compiled without any options) works fine on another box,
the only difference is that there is only 1 active network card ...
everything esle (pptp-Server, bind, ...) are also installed ...

Marco