RE: [squid-users] Squid.conf setting queries

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 12:45:19 -0400

> Hope this will clear picture to you. As I am informed
> proper configuration of squid increses performance by
> 40 %. If I get 25 % I will be happy.

Squid CAN increase performance by up to 40%, but
results may vary depending on the type of traffic and
other factors.

> 1) I want to block www.kazza.com from 07:30-23:30. But
> It can be accessed 24 hours by all users.

Your STOP2 acl probably isn't matching. You can try
changing the type to dstdomain as I suggested, but I
can't guarantee that it will work - I've never tried
to block Kazaa, so I'm not sure what to check for.

> 2) I want to block access to Internet for acl "STOP"
> and acl "STOP1" for certain period but they are
> accessing in this period also.

Try removing the /32 from the IP listing - I'm not sure
if Squid can use that subnet mask format. I do know that,
without a subnet mask specified, it assumes the IP refers
to a single host.

> 3) I want limit max no. of connection by one user to
> one but users can connect to more than 1 connections.

This has been discussed before - you don't want to limit
a user to just 1 connection, because most browsers will
open 4 at a time to download faster.

> 4) By "acl magic_words2 url_regex" I want to restrict
> download of heavy files such as ".mpeg .mpe .mpg .wav
> .mov" but then it seems users can download these files
> at any time.

> 5) And surprisingly internet access speed has slowed
> down, compaired to prior to installation of squid.
> I have checked if bandwidth supplier has reduced
> bandwidth. But no.

Your delay pool settings are a mess. You're slowing
EVERY connection made during the day, and delay pool 1
is completely unnecessary.

Dump all your delay_ settings and replace them with:

delay_pools 1
delay_class 1 1
delay_parameters 1 2000/50000
delay_access 1 allow magic_words2 day !magic_words1

Adam

---