Re: [squid-users] IE5/Win2k/WPAD not working

From: Diego Rivera <lrivera@dont-contact.us>
Date: 01 Aug 2003 19:38:34 -0600

> Is the use of WPAD enabled in the browser settings?

Yes, and I also disabled caching of Autoproxy configuration script using
a reg setting I got from a previous post.

Basically, I can select "proxy config by script" and type in the
'http://wpad/wpad.dat' url and it all works fine. But the minute I
check Autodetect (i.e., WPAD), everything stops working - so it IS
finding something - what I'm not sure, but something that makes it
break.

I regularly use ipconfig /flushdns to force DNS queries to be done, but
that hasn't helped because no DNS queries are being made!!

Still no joy. What ticks me off is that IE isn't even trying to find
anything - packet sniffs reveal no attempt to find the "wpad.domain.com"
host (in preparation for fetching the http://wpad.domain.com/wpad.dat
file).

Nothing!!

This is really starting to get on my nerves cuz it really goes against
ALL documented functionality - even by M$!!

Konqueror - as I said - works fine with WPAD.

I hope someone has run into this in the past and knows how to fix it!!

* Diego Rivera                                            *
* "The Disease: Windows, the cure: Linux"                 *
* E-mail: lrivera<AT>racsa<DOT>co<DOT>cr                  *
* Replace: <AT>='@', <DOT>='.'                            *
* GPG: BE59 5469 C696 C80D FF5C  5926 0B36 F8FF DA98 62AD *
* GPG Public Key avaliable at: http://pgp.mit.edu         *