Re: [squid-users] Squid, WCCP, transparent proxy

From: fooler <fooler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 11:26:09 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Mena" <rt_mena@yahoo.com>
To: "fooler" <fooler@skyinet.net>; <squid-users@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 10:25 AM
Subject: Re: [squid-users] Squid, WCCP, transparent proxy

> How stable is this wccp daemon ?

honestly i didnt try this daemon because im using cisco's wccp on their
router... when i look into their mailing list archives, it seems it is
stable enough to use it.. please do try it if you dont have a cisco router
and you are only using linux acting as a router...

> If squid would be used in the same machine would I be
> able to do this proxy without the wccp ?

yes but when your squid goes down, your firewall rule of redirection will
still redirect to that tcp port eventhough squid is not available... unlike
with wccp, it will just cease the redirection and let the wccp router
forward the http packets to the internet... but if you dont want to use wccp
and putting squid on your linux box acting as a router, you can put a script
that monitor the health status of squid, if squid dies, let your script
alter the firewall rule of redirection and put back again when squid goes up
:->

fooler.