[squid-users] transparent proxy and authentication

From: Chettawan Senapant. <chettawan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 14:30:54 +0700

I have some Idea about transparent proxy with authentication but I don’t
sure it makes sense or not, may be some one can craft this.

I’m using backbone switch to route HTTP request to transparent squid and it
works fine. I know that no way (by now) to automatically pop up authen
screen for routed users while I’m using transparent proxy. But suppose I
have some firewall box or some thing that do firewalling routing and
Authentication placed between backbone and proxy then set the policy says
“whoever want to access the proxy server need to be authen on this URL
first”. Is this the possible solution ? and if it ,which software or
firewall can do that especially open source :)