Re: [squid-users] Blocking fragmented file download with SQUID, is it possible?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 09:22:35 +0200

On Wednesday 06 August 2003 08.46, Gabriel M. Mizrahi wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Is it possible to block my users from using programs such as
> download accelerator, FlashGet, Getright, etc?

You can use delay pools to nullify the benefit of using such programs.

> I only wish to prevent them from downloading files in fragments; I
> don't care if only one session is open.

Why do you want to block this?

> I guess something has to be done with the protocol (make it to not
> support resume?)

It is not about resume, it is about fetching fragments/ranges of
objects. This function is used by many programs for different
purposes. One well kown program making good use of this is the Adobe
Acrobat Reader plugin, quickly fetching the table of contents of the
PDF file you are viewing.

Unfortunately some programs such as Getright etc abuses the same
feature for the greed of their users..

Mvh