[squid-users] squid problems with DNS resolution

From: Greg Norris <haphazard@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 21:53:42 -0500

I've recently setup squid for a small home network (2 boxes, not
counting the proxy server itself). Unfortunately, I instantly get the
error text below almost every time I try to access a non-cached site.
If I do a shift-reload, the site will then load successfully, and I
don't have any further trouble with it.

   While trying to retrieve the URL: http://blah.org/blah/

   The following error was encountered:

       Unable to determine IP address from host name for blah.org

   The dnsserver returned:

       No DNS records

   This means that:

    The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
    Check if the address is correct.

The proxy server is also running pdnsd, which is providing name
resolution for the local network. This appears to be working
properly... email, http (minus squid), etc. have no apparent problem
resolving hostnames. I've tried reconfiguring the proxy server to use
my ISP's nameservers, just to be sure, but that didn't make any
noticeable difference. The proxy box is currently running squid 2.5.3.

Any suggestions for what I should be checking? Thanx!