Re: [squid-users] cache query when switching squid servers

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 10:32:29 +0200

Richard Fuser wrote:

> Andrew Thomson wrote:
> > I'm upgrading my squid proxy server and am curious if I can just tar up
> > my squid cache directory and then untar it on the new server??
> >
> > cheers,
> >
> > ajt.
> >

> Hi Andrew,
>
> I may be incorrect in saying this but I dont think its that simple, what
> we have done is the past is built out new server/s and then configured
> the 2 servers new & old be be siblings, therefore when your new server
> is serving requests it will query cache on its sibling (your old cache)
> before it goes out to the internet to get it.
>
> I would be interested to hear other alternatives...

 I'd wonder whether all of this is worth it so to speak.
 The general idea being that a week's cache usage will get to
 cache population restoring squid's hit rate for the intended user
 environment.
 Taking that into account, if I'd to reinstall my box and or cleanup
 filesystems so to speak,I'd certainly prefer starting with the
 cache 'from zero'.
 Thereby also removing possibly 'long keeping' of inconsistencies
 if any.

 M.

--
 'Love is truth without any future.