Re: [squid-users] squid and SMP tests=FROM_NAME_NO_SPACES version=2.31

From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 14:12:54 -0400

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 10:58:45AM -0700, Adam wrote:

> Squid will only use the one CPU - this comes up all the time in the archives
> so you should check there first: groups.google.com (use advanced and type in
> mailing.unix.squid-users for group).

i will definitely do that, thanks.

> That said, I like having squid on my dual CPU ultra 60 because I *imagine*
> that one cpu is babysitting squid and the other is handling all the OS

that's what i was thinking. i'll just have to run it and see most likely.

> operations, etc. Squid's main needs/bottlenecks will always be disk and
> RAM. In general my cpu loads are never over 20% of CPU so if it's a matter
> of getting another box: get one with more disks and RAM. Though from your
> the 3 dedicated 9GB disks you intended to attach to the Ultra2.

1000-2000 concurrent users (8000 machines total, not all of them will be hitting
the internet all the time, most don't need it, like servers, etc), 6 T1s.
that's not an insignificant amount of traffic anyway. :)

> Hopefully someone else can comment on the .pac setup as we don't do that
> here but I imagine you could do that. Since I think they'd have to be two
> completely separate instances of squid with different cache_dir's, I think
> that including setting put the .pac files, it would be more trouble than it
> is worth. Given that squid runs on anything, adding another squid box and
> then doing the same thing would probably be cleaner to maintain.

ok, i'll keep that in mind. we'll just have to see how it all works out when
the time comes.

-brian

--
"You know, evil comes in many forms, be it a man-eating cow or Joseph Stalin.
But you can't let the package hide the pudding. Evil is just plain bad! You