Re: [squid-users] squid and SMP

From: Adam <adam-s@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 11:29:09 -0700

Brian wrote:
> 1000-2000 concurrent users (8000 machines total, not all of them will be
hitting
> the internet all the time, most don't need it, like servers, etc), 6 T1s.
> that's not an insignificant amount of traffic anyway. :)

Assuming concurrent users translates into a large number of requests per
second (which squid measures) and traffic (MB/sec), your needs are WAY
bigger than our little shop - hopefully some larger enterprise level proxy
admins can help you. There has been lots of sizing/server config
information posted and I know a lot of guys use multiple proxies
(cache_peer). If your concurrent users translates into more than
200req/sec (depending upon your box/disks/RAM) then you may need more than
one squid box.

Just curious so I checked google and here are some interesting comments on
max sizing:
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=933r8s%242ra0%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCT
U.edu.tw
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=9noqlu%241mf3%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCT
U.edu.tw

Both threads are worth reading in their entirity.

P.S. Here is a representative comment on manually setting async IO threads:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=admnqh%241f2o%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.e
du.tw
Others just said adding more per disk is ok, squid defaults to 16 per
disk/cache_dir.

adam