Re: [squid-users] CPU utilization performance issue

From: Antony Stone <Antony@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 20:03:08 +0100

On Friday 08 August 2003 7:26 pm, Schelstraete Bart wrote:

> 'Multiple cache disks', does that included hardware raids, because that
> are also 'multiple disks'.
> (but one disk for the OS).

Can somebody explain to me why it's worth considering putting a Squid cache
onto a Raid setup anyway?

My thinking is:

Raid is for precious data where you don't want to lose anything because of
hardware failure (which is reasonably likely with hard disks, depending on
how long you wait).

A Squid cache is not 'precious data' but you want the access to it to be as
fast as possible, and you want to get the maximum performance for your money,
therefore you don't want to pay for an extra drive toget the redundancy of
Raid.

Therefore, I cannot see any purpose at all in putting a Squid cache onto Raid
- surely if you have multiple disks, it is better simply to create a File
System on each, and put those into your squid.conf file as multiple
"cache_dir"s?

Perhaps someone can enlighten me on this.

Regards,

Antony.

--
It is also possible that putting the birds in a laboratory setting
inadvertently renders them relatively incompetent.