Re: [squid-users] squid-2.5.STABLE3 based server hangs periodically

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 09:55:39 +0200

On Saturday 09 August 2003 22.00, Marko Sakkos wrote:

> I'm running subject with RedHat Linux 7.3, w kernel 2.4.21. Server
> hardware is IBM x342 with 1,13GHz P3 processor, 1GB RAM & ServeRaid
> controller running RAID0 stripeset. Filesystem on cache partition
> are reiserfs and cache_dir size 40MB. Average traffic are about
> 20Mbit/s and about 150-200 request per second. Problem is, that
> system hangs completely after couple of days.

Complete system hangs are usually a sign of a kernel or hardware
problem. As you have tried different hardware kernel problem seems
quite likely.

I would recommend setting up a serial console on the system, and
enabling automatic reboot on kernel panic (echo 1
>/proc/sys/kernel/panic). Then connect a terminal to the serial
console and enable log to file to capture whatever console messages
there may be.

To enable serial console you need to modify the kernel arguments on
boot to include "console=ttyS0" (or ttyS1 for com2 etc).

Also keep this console logged in as root to the system. This will
allow you to more accurately determine if the system is completely
hung, or just heavily overloaded by something.