Re: [squid-users] squid + axel

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:53:54 +0200

On Monday 11 August 2003 00.49, Bob Arctor wrote:
> 3)it is _only_ way to balance traffic if you have multiple slow
> lines (like few dialups, like i do have)

It is the only way to balance traffic for the same large download
request on multiple slow dial up lines not supporting bonding. On
this I agree.

Now there is a number of assumptions here which must all be true for
this to be done in a social manner

a) The service provided by the server contacted is intended for users
with higher bandwidth than a single dialup connection.

b) You are mostly alone with little or no other use of your dialup
connections.

c) It is known the download is relatively large.

'a' may or may not be true depending on the server. It is very hard
for a program to determine. Round-robin DNS is not a sign of this.

'b' can be determined by a program keeping track of the link usage.

'c' is very hard to know in HTTP without first actually making the
request. Users can easily determine when starting the download.

So is Squid the proper place for this? In my opinion not.