Re: [squid-users] Transparent in front of authenticator

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:34:01 +0200

On Tuesday 12 August 2003 03.51, Simon Bryan wrote:

> Can I run another copy of squid on the LTSP server in front of the
> main one?

Yes.

> The main one is doing ntlm authentication.

This can't be proxied. But hopefully the main one is also doing basic
authentication which can..

> If so can the first squid be a transparent one?

Not if you want users to authenticate. Yes if you only want the second
proxy to authenticate to the main proxy.

For user authentication to work the browser MUST be configured to use
a proxy.

For NTLM user authentication the browser MUST be talking directly to
the server requiring NTLM authentication (be this a web server or a
proxy)