Re: [squid-users] custom error messages

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 01:00:49 +0200

On Wednesday 13 August 2003 00.26, Norman Zhang wrote:

> I'm trying customized the errors messages generated by squid in
> /etc/squid/errors/. Now I have added an image (logo.gif) to the
> ERR_* files, however, the error messages cannot display the correct
> image (it adds http://deniedsite/logo.gif).

Squid is not a web server, and the error pages are not in a directory
but "magic" pages which replace the original page requested by the
client. The defined error messages (standard messages + messages
defined by deny_info) are loaded into memory when Squid starts.

This said it is possible to load logos and other images into squid via
mime.conf and then refer to them as if they were icons. Icons have
the url /squid-internal-static/icons/filename.gif

To add a image, place the image into the icons directory and then add
a line like this last in mime.conf

^$ - logo.gif - image

In theory any kind of content can be added to Squid in this manner.
mime.conf also specifies the mime type for these files. But keep in
mind that these will be kept in memory so adding very large files is
not wise. Also, as the feature is intended for icons the URLs may
look a little strange..