Re: [squid-users] Off Topic - Reconfiguration by a non-root user

From: Anthony M. Rasat <anton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 23:22:38 +0700

Linux permissions gives you headache, doesn't it?
I can't help you with chmod and chown, they are supposed Linux guruz' job.
However I can only suggest a trick.
Perhaps all you need to simple crontab script.

Let say you write a simple bash script which will do following :

a. Check existance of files. For example : /home/aqil/scripts/proxy_auth and
/home/aqil/scripts/ip_user_check. Your operator owned these files. If they
are not exist, simply quit.
b. Copy the old proxy_auth and ip_user_check to proxy_auth.old and
ip_user_check.old for backup, just in case.
c. Copy the operator's proxy_auth and ip_user_check files to their proper
location, overwriting the original files.
d. Change ownership of both files to Squid.
e. Delete /home/aqil/scripts/proxy_auth and
/home/aqil/scripts/ip_user_check.
f. Reconfigure Squid.
f. Run this script every, say, 5 minutes.

I think you will save your hair this way.

Regards,

Anthony M. Rasat
PT. Kalteng Pos Press
Palangkaraya - Indonesia.-