Re: [squid-users] SMTP,POP3 and News problems

From: Adam <adam-s@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:37:29 -0700

aba ab wrote:
> I can't use the SMTP, POP3 and NEWS services with the SQUID (the http
works
> fine), I have only this access list

While it's not explicitly clear from this FAQ entry explaining what Squid
*is* http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-1.html#ss1.1 - Squid only
does HTTP. I think some of the confusion comes from the fact that Squid can
"do ftp" if the browser sends the commands via http. None of the 3 services
you mention normally run over http so you will need something else like a
SOCKS proxy. I've seen Dante suggested on this list. In general I would
suggest you read the FAQ at least once (or at least skim through bit) - it's
a lot of info but it will save you a ton of questions and then you can go
back when you need to reread a specific bit. I am sure you are busy but it
helped me a lot to get started.

Also if you don't find your answer in the FAQ, try the groups.google.com
archive for this list (catalogued under mailing.unix.squid-users). Your
question has been answered many times. Here is a representative query:
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=smtp%20pop3&as_ugroup=mailing.unix.squid-users

hth,

Adam