Re: [squid-users] Help with user authentication and user rights

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 08:19:46 +0200

On Friday 15 August 2003 07.53, D Horn wrote:
> Hi, I am faced with this problem.
> I have to setup a proxy server, I am using squid that came with Red
> Hat 9, to allow 100 users to access the internet. I have an ASDL
> line and need to restrict each user to download only a certain
> amount of mb per month and if the limit is reached his account must
> be stopped until the new month. Each

Then you need some program which reads access.log and keeps track of
how much data each user have downloaded, and add an acl which blocks
users over their quota. There was discussion about such program quite
recently, see the squid-users archives.

> user also needs to login before they can use the internet. The
> users Pc's are windows machines. I would like to know if it is
> possible with squid or are there other programs that can help me do
> this.

Squid is fully capable of this. See the Squid FAQ chapter on
authentication.