RE: [squid-users] dont want to share the cache

From: Roger Joseph <primelink@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:39:20 -0400

I had previously said to use Ipfw or ipchains to create a rule that
drops packets destined for the port, or restrict in the linux firewall
instead of at the service level.

Isn't it better to have data dropped from the network layer (layer 3
filtered) rather than let an independent service manage it's access. My
idea is why let a possible attacker hack and hack away at a service till
they get in (buffer overflow) when you can just drop all packets at
layer 3 with source external to LAN. An attacker never gets to try or
attempt to hack away at your service.

Am I out on a limb here? Anyone agree or disagree?