Re: [squid-users] Stopping windows update

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 16:52:55 +0200

On Thursday 21 August 2003 10.38, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Hi Rick,
> You're right. That's exactly what I want squidGuard does: to DENY
> rather than redirect. But I don't how to do it. I've put
> windowsupdate.microsoft.com into the 'banneddestination' list, and
> that's what squidGuard does: redirecting the request to "denied web
> page".

And being a redirector, redirec is what SquidGuard can do, either by
sending a browser redirect to the browser, or by rewriting the URL
while Squid forwards the URL.

If you make SquidGuard rewrite the URL to a web page which results in
an access denied then the access will be effectively denied. However,
in the eye of Squid it is a proxied request resulting in an HTTP
error..

If you want the request to be denied directly by Squid you need to use
Squid acls in http_access. This will result in TCP_DENIED in your
Squid access log, and no dependencies on other services.