Re: [squid-users] Setting WCCP up under Solaris 8

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 01:21:24 +0200

On Monday 25 August 2003 21.31, Wallace, Brian S. wrote:

> 1. Setup IP Filter? If so, why? Is WCCP not a point to point
> protocol?

WCCP consists of two protocols

a) WCCP negotiation protocol, where the cache advertises itself to the
router(s)

b) WCCP/GRE protocol where the router redirects intercepted packets to
the cache servers.

To deal with 'b' the IP kernel of the cache server needs to perform
two tasks

1) It needs to know how to accept WCCP/GRE packets and read the
original packet contained within.

2) It needs to know how to accept the original packet contained within
the WCCP/GRE packet as if it was sent to the proxy. (WCCP/GRE is a
special form of GRE encapsulation used by WCCP routers when
forwarding intercepted packets to registered cache servers)

> 2. Compile Squid with the --enable-ipf-transparent
> option?

Yes.

> 3. Any thing else?

* Configure your IP kernel to support '1' and '2' above.

* Configure squid.conf for transparent interception caching

* COnfigure squid.conf with the address of the wccp router to
advertise itself to.

* Configure WCCP interception on the router.

> Has anyone successfully setup WCCP under Solaris? Is there any
> complete WCCP documentation for Solaris? Since most of the
> documentation is for Linux, I'm at a lost as to where to start.

The principles are the same translated to ipfilter instead of
iptables, but you need to find how to support WCCP/GRE packets on
Solaris.