Re: [squid-users] axel + squid - security argument

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 01:25:34 +0200

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 19.51, Bob Arctor wrote:
> sorry for trolling, but i also thought out about another argument,
> as squid would download one file via different mirrrors/gateways ,
> thus via different connections, it would increase security of file
> transfers.

How would this increase security?

In my eyes it decreases security. If one of the links are compromised
then all your downloads may be compromised as well and it would
become very hard to determine which link caused the problem after the
file has been joined together.

> it would be great if such solution would be possible also for https
> documents.

This would be impossible for a HTTP proxy due to the nature of https.

The more you speak about the function and valid purpose axel, the more
convinced I become that such functions DO NOT belong in a HTTP proxy
but do belong in your user-agent if anywhere.