Re: [squid-users] logging options and performance effects

From: John Habermann <j_habermann@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:13:58 +1000

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 09:10:20 -0400
"Adam Aube" <aaube@firstindependent.net> wrote:

> > I then found a perl script someone had posted to this list that
> > processes logs produced with the following option set in the
> > squid.conf file "log_mime_hdrs on". This options produces a lot
> > of output and I am wondering how much of a performance impact this
> > could have on squid.
>
> log_mime_headers is normally only used for troubleshooting, both
> because of the amount of output it produces and also because it
> can reveal usernames/passwords submitted to web forms. Turn it on
> only when needed.
>
> As for performance, it could cause a problem, but that will vary
> depending on setup. All you can do is monitor and see if a disk
> bottleneck occurs.
>
> > Also do I need to have the --enable-referer-log
> > --enable-useragent-log options compiled in if I am using the
> > log_mime_hdrs option?
>
> Very likely not. These are generally not necessary, either - that's
> why they are not compiled in by default.
>
> > Just curious as to what is the most efficient way to get log files
> > suitable for a log analyser
>
> Most log analyzers look only at the access.log anyway. Most of the
> time you will only need access.log and cache.log.

I would really like to track referers and useragents as well and that information doesen't appear to be included in access.log by default unless I use the log_mime option or the user agent and referer options. I was trying to use webalizer to analyse the stats as I thought it was supposed to support squid native log format. It does when you enable the useragent and referer options and point them to the access.log file but they are then logged as seperate lines. I am trying to figure out someway of sorting them so that webalizer can read them.

Thanks for replying

John