RE: [squid-users] 15-to 20 % caching..saving bandwidth.

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:33:16 -0400

> I want some help for you. I want my squid server to give me caching
for
> atleast 20 % means 20% bandwdith saving. How do i configure squid to
> achieve this target. Plz recommend me the required hardware.

The default configuration can certainly do it, depending on the type
of
traffic it serves. Hardware has very little to do with it.

> Bandwidth manegement is working great but squid performance is not
good.

What part isn't good?

> Byte Hit Ratios: 5min: 52.8%, 60min: 39.8%

This means in Squid has served 39.8% of content from the cache in the
last
60 minutes. That is almost 40% bandwidth savings in the last hour.
What's
"not good" about that?

> what can i do that i can achieve atleast 20 percent bandwidth saving

You've achieved 40% in the last hour. Overall statistics can be had by
viewing the Cache Utilization page.

(1 - (server.http.kbytes_in / client_http.kbytes_out)) * 100 = %
savings.

(I only use the http numbers because only http requests are cachable)

Adam