Re: [squid-users] Transparent proxy

From: Dodjie Nava <dpnava@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:37:23 +0800

fritz,

i too am a newbie, so this is how i understand transparent proxy. as stated by daniel kiracofe, you
use transparent proxy if you like all clients to use the proxy without having to go to the trouble
of configuring each browser to point to the proxy, just like what you did. if you don't point a
client's browser to use the proxy, it would go direct & fetch everything by itself from the origin
server. why bother when you can cache some or all portions of the request, esp. if it is often
requested? imagine if you have 500 dial-up clients & 1000 workstations, would you rather tell each
one of them to configure their browser to point to your proxy? not a good idea coz you have a
far better alternative: a transparent proxy, which will intercept the request (transparently,
which means the browser need not be configured to call the proxy), fetch the request from the
origin server, cache it, & serve the request. the next time a client ask the same request, most
of the contents are already in the proxy, so you save time & bandwidth.

using a combination of iptables, squid acls & proper routing, your network will know which proxy to use.
for example, our router here is configured to pass all http request to a predefined proxy, squid & iptables
does the rest. if you don't use a router, linux can be used as one, & a good combination of squid &
iptables will do the rest.

--
Dodjie Nava <dpnava@mozcom.com>
Systems Engineer