Re: [squid-users] Transparent proxy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:00:51 +0200

On Friday 29 August 2003 03.37, Dodjie Nava wrote:

> dial-up clients & 1000 workstations, would you rather tell each one
> of them to configure their browser to point to your proxy? not a
> good idea coz you have a far better alternative: a transparent
> proxy, which will intercept the request

Transparent proxy is not a better alternative. Things do work a lot
better if you use properly configured proxy settings.

Transparent proxy is simply a bandaid if the effort to reconfigure all
clients with proper proxy settings is too high.

The best alternative is to have the browsers reconfigured to using a
proxy-PAC script fetched from a reliable local web server. This both
avoids the hazards of transparent proxying and guarantees that you
will not need to have all stations reconfigured again as future
reconfigurations can be done via the PAC script located on the web
server.