Re: [squid-users] Users need to authenticate time and again

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 09:49:15 +0200

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 05:31:40PM +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Enable log_mime_hdrs and pay attention to the Proxy-Authorization
> headers sent by the browser. This header contains BASE64 encoded
> login:password, and if it shows differences between a failed and a
> successful request when you think both should have worked then your
> browser is goofing up.

Very good hint, Henrik. Indeed the browsers do not send
"Proxy-Authorization: Basic XYZ...". I could even track this down to
images. Requests for HTML pages carry the authorization headers - that's
why Lynx always works. Just if I request a picture element (png, gif, jpg)
I get prompted for re-authentication. I'm currently simplifying the
squid.conf until perhaps I find something that causes this. Just why do
the other proxys work with the squid.conf which is 100% identical?
I know that helping is a little hard without my squid.conf. If nobody
has further ideas I will post my configuration here.

I just wonder why this happens at once for multiple people on multiple
PCs, in multiple browsers and just for this one proxy. Only the lynx
sends the header correctly.

Thanks so far.

 Christoph

--