[squid-users] Speed : SQUID vs MS proxy

From: aqil <aqil@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:16:35 +0700

Here are the specs of the hardwares :
SQUID:
IBM Netfinity PIII 512MB,
I am allocating 448M of memory for squid
MS Proxy :
Compaq PIII 256MB

I made some speed access comparisons. The result looks like this :
SQUID
www.google.com : 15,20 seconds
mail.yahoo.com : about 1 second

MS Proxy
mail.yahoo.com : 7.20 seconds
www.google.com : about 2 seconds

I repeat the trial a couple of times, but the result seems to be
similar. Access from MS proxy is faster than from Squid

What we want to do is to substitute MS Proxy by SQUID in the compaq
machine. But I have to first show to people that the performance of
SQUID is superior to MS proxy..

Any idea and suggestion on boosting the performance of squid would be
very appreciated...

TIA
aqil