Re: [squid-users] Memory Vs Disk cache

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 08:42:41 +0200

On Thursday 11 September 2003 05.58, Roger Joseph wrote:
> Yes and no........ I have compiled squid to run on mac OSX BSD
> which has a 64 bit chip soon available. And has a 8 GB addressable
> memory.
>
> Xeon are also capable of doing it.

Xeon is a 32 bit CPU with some 64 bit cludges added. Not really a 64
bit CPU.

All Pentium Pro and later X86 CPUs can address "64-bit memory", but
the instruction set is till 32 bits only, limiting what a single
process can address.

> Pentium 4 with hyper threading might be able to do it.
> (not too sure here).

Same as above.

> The cache_dir "null" is that good. I heard before that squid
> bombs out when the cache is insufficient for the task at hand. Is
> that true only when it is using disk cache.

Nothing I know about.

There is many people using the above configuration for memory-only
cahce.

What I do know is that you will be limited by hardware limitations to
at most around 3 GB per process on any X86 class CPU (386 to
P4/Xeon). So to use these extra GB beyond 3GB you need to either run
multiple processes, or use a ram drive.