Re: [squid-users] Squid seem to be slower than our Novell BorderManger

From: Mathew Thomas <mathew.thomas@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 11:21:54 +1000

Hi Adam,

I am not comparing the performance BorderManager with squid. I am building squid on a new HP ML530 with 2 x3.0GHz Xeon processor with 6x36 GB of HD. The BorderManager is running on an old server. I am accessing the pages not from cache.

Only couple of users in squid proxy. I used top and the system was not bottlenecking.

Thanks
Mathew

>>> Adam Aube <aaube@firstindependent.net> 12/09/03 10:23:29 >>>
>I tested by new installation with few clients and it was very slow
>compared to our current proxy, Novell BorderManger.

Are you comparing the performance of a BorderManager proxy that has
been used for some time (and probably has a good-sized cache) with
a new Squid proxy (without any cache)?

Are both of these proxies on similar hardware? If not, which has
faster hardware (particularly disks)?

Have you tried using system tools like sar, procinfo, and vmstat
to see if your system is bottlenecking anywhere?

Adam