Re: [squid-users] FTP over squid

From: Abdul Khader <abdulkhader7862003@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 05:25:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
Thanks for everyone's help. I am grateful to all of
you. But, can anyone explain why do the documentation
of squid speak about ftp. PLease refere to my
following comments taken from squid documentation.

Tag Name
always_direct
Usage
always_direct allow|deny [!]aclname ...

Description
Here you can use ACL elements to specify requests,
which should ALWAYS be forwarded directly to origin
servers. This is mostly used while using cache_peer.
See also never_direct . For Further reference on
always_direct, please click here.
always_direct is by default deny.

Example
For example, to always directly forward requests for
local servers use something like:
acl local-servers dstdomain .my.domain.net
always_direct allow local-servers

To always forward FTP requests directly, use
acl FTP proto FTP
always_direct allow FTP

Example for denying specific domain
acl local-external dstdomain .external.foo.net
acl local-servers dstdomain .foo.net
always_direct deny local-external
always_direct allow local-servers

Caution
There is a similar, but opposite option named '
never_direct'. You need to be aware that
"always_direct deny foo" is NOT the same thing as
"never_direct allow foo". You may need to use a deny
rule to exclude a more-specific case of some other
rule.

AND ALSO SEE THIS

Support for external functions
Tag Name
ftp_user
Usage
ftp_user username

Description
This tag can be used if you want the anonymous login
password to be more informative. You can set this to
something reasonable for your domain, like
squid@squid.visolve.com. The reason why this is domain
less by default is that the request can be made on the
behalf of a user in any domain, depending on how the
cache is used. Some ftp servers also validate the
email address. For detailed explanation Click Here
ftp_user Squid@

Example
ftp_user squid@squid.visolve.com

Tag Name
ftp_list_width
Usage
ftp_list_width number

Description
This tag is used to set the width of ftp listings.
This should be set to fit in the width of a standard
browser. Setting this too small can cut off long
filenames when browsing ftp sites.
ftp_list_width 32

Example
ftp_list_width 64

Tag Name
ftp_passive
Usage
ftp_passive on|off

Description
If your firewall does not allow Squid to use passive
connections, then turn off this option.
ftp_passive on

Please comment.

REgards