Re: [squid-users] Squid Authentication

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:36:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Stephanie Fritzler wrote:

> This authentication nearly works, but only the basic scheme works correctly,
> ntlm doesn't work at all and digest seems to work(even when I looked at the
> debugging (section 29,9) it seemed to work) but there is no way to get to the
> internet.

What helper do you use for NTLM and Digest respectively?

Digest and NTLM work very differently from Basic, each requires their own
kind of helper.

A Basic helper verifies a username password pair.

A Digest helper needs to return Digest HHA1 hashes to Squid.

A NTLM helper needs to implement the NTLM protocol.

> My second issue is, that these authenticated users should have to
> reauthenticate again after for example 30 minutes, what do I have to change
> in the squid.conf?

Nothing. This has to be done in the browser configuration.

The browser authenticates to Squid on each and every request.

> If I try this with the basic settings I could surf the
> internet for all time if I use the same browser (tested on windows xp wiht
> internet explorer 6) but if I opend a new one I have to authenticate even if
> I did half a minute ago.

Again a browser question due to the above.

In some versions of MSIE you can select if opening a new browser should
start a new session or not. See the Advanced Internet Options somewhere (I
cannot guide you as I am not a Windows user)