Re: [squid-users] User Authentication, Squid 2.4.6

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:29:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Andrew Neillans wrote:

> Anyone know of a good resource on how to configure squid to authenticate
> users for web access?

The Squid FAQ is a good start.. there is also numerous documents around
the web on this subject (sorry, no links availabe, try google)

> I know i need to add relevant acl lines to the squid.conf and create a
> password file, but I am not sure how to go about starting.

If you want to use a local password file then locate the htpasswd command.
This command can be used to create NCSA style password files usign crypt()
hashed passwords. This password file can then be used by Squid via the
NCSA authentication helper.

The NCSA authentication helper is included in most binary distributions of
Squid. If you are compiling Squid from source then the helper can be
selected to be built at configure time or you can simply go into
helpers/basic_auth/NCSA/ and run "make install" to add the helper to your
existing Squid installation.