Re: [squid-users] Using squidGuard to redirect to non sitefinder page...

From: Neil A. Hillard <hillardn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:32:36 +0100 (BST)

Marc,

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Marc Elsen wrote:
> "Neil A. Hillard" wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been asked to redirect all unregistered .com and .net domains
> > (that would now go to VeriSign's sitefinder) to our own internal 'The
> > domain you entered doesn't exist' page.
>
> Your are on the forefront of the 'real internet' :-) .
Too right - if it's good enough for VeriSign, it's good enough for me !!!
:-)

> > I'm currently running squidGuard and everythings working OK. I've
> > added a new rule in so that my domainlist contains the following:
> >
> > 64.94.110.11
> >
> > but unfortunately the site doesn't get blocked when I go to
> > http://www.verisignsuck.com/ but does when I go to http://64.94.110.11/
> >
> > I'm assuming that squidGuard doesn't perform reverse lookups. Does any
> > one know any way around this with squidGuard ??? If not can you recommend
> > a different redirector that will handle this ???
> >
> > Many thanks in advance,
> >

> Perhaps put the domain name in the blacklist too :
>
> sitefinder.verisign.com

Thanks for the suggestion, I'd already tried it but it doesn't work as
intended :-(

When going to http://www.verisignsuck.com/ I'm redirected to:

http://sitefinder.verisign.com/lpc?url=www.verisignsuck.com&host=www.verisignsuck.com

What I wanted to do was pass the original URL
(http://www.verisignsuck.com/) to my PHP script, but the initial VeriSign
redirection takes place and then that gets passed to the PHP script.

I think I'll just do a bit of coding in PHP to extract the domain from the
redirected request. It would be nice for my users to never have to hit
VeriSign's server so they don't get to see my users' typos !!!

                                Neil.

--
Neil Hillard                    hillardn@whl.co.uk
Westland Helicopters Ltd.       http://www.whl.co.uk/