Re: [squid-users] Plz help - Connection closing - why?

From: Deepa D <deepndharma@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 06:07:30 +0100 (BST)

Hi,
    Thanks for the response Robert.I will try and
explain the setup once again :-
    All the http traffic from the browser is being
redirected to a program that reformats the url and
sends it to the proxy for further processing and in
turn conveys back the proxy's response to teh
browser.The problem that I am facing is that the
browser displays a "page not found" message even
before the program can convey the proxy's response
back to the browser.
    At the proxy end(in the cache.log), I see that the
url is getting processed and a GOT HTTP REPLY HDR
coming in from the remote web server with 200 OK ,
Connection: Close.But this data is not being sent back
to the program.I assume this is because the browser
has already closed its connection.But at the same time
I find the program is still waiting for the squid's
response - it doesn't close its connection with squid.
    As per ur suggestion , I will read the HTTP/1.0
specs.Kindly tell me if u can infer anything else as
to what and where the problem could be.
   Regards and TIA,
       Deepa

 --- Robert Collins <robertc@squid-cache.org> wrote: >
On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 23:29, Deepa D wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I feel the following is happening as the
> browser is
> > closing much before the proxy can send back a
> > response.There is an intermediate program that is
> > trapping the requests from the browser and
> redirecting
> > them to the proxy.I tried sending a 100 Continue
> > message from the intermediate program , but it
> doesn't
> > work.I am working with IE 5.5 browser.
> > Please tell me how I can make the browser wait
> > receive the response from the proxy.
> > Regards and TIA,
> > Deepa
>
> connection closing is perfectly normal part of
> operation. Squid is
> http/1.0 with a few 1.1 features - but it doesn't
> support Continue.
>
> I'm a little unclear on what is going on here, but
> it sounds like:
> 1) You are writing a proxy of some sort, using squid
> to get the data
> from the internet.
> 2) You are having a problem where the connection
> from squid to your
> proxy is closing.
>
> Whats not clear is /when/ it is closing. As I said
> above, closing the
> connection is normal for http operation. If you are
> coding to the
> http/1.1 specification, you should read the section
> on HTTP/1.0
> persistent connection interoperation, and probably
> the HTTP/1.0 spec
> too.
>
> Rob
>
> --