Re: [squid-users] Why is Squid restarting?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:24:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Joao Coutinho wrote:

> client_http.requests = 11.674884/sec client_http.hits = 6.273668/sec

Ok. Not much for 200 users, but it is better to read the 5 min average
counter (I assume the above is from the general runtime information.. this
page shows average since start and if your Squid has been running for long
the figures are often far from the current value)

> I don't know exactly, but my users use Internet a lot. Do you know a way to
> find out?

Statistics based on 10 minutes of access.log during peak usage gives a
quite good figure.

> What's the maximum number of children process I can put on Squid.conf?

Depends on which kind of children you are talking about, but I assume we
are still talking about the ntlm helper children. This is mainly limited
by the amount of memory you have and other OS limitations. Or practically
no limit.

> My Server is a HP Proliant DL380 1gb RAM, 2disks scsi 36GB (Raid1, is it
> OK?), 2 Intel Xeon CPU 2.40GHz processors. RedHat 8.0.

A nice server, but total overkill for the job.