Re: [squid-users] help: squid boot

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 08:55:42 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, mauro wrote:

> Hello to everyone.
> I am an italian newbye and after installing and configuring squid.conf file I
> don't succeed to start it by etc/init.d directory.
> The command ./squid start send back this msg:
> Starting squid: ./squid: line 162: 3239 Aborted $SQUID $SQUID_OPTS 2>
> /dev/null
> ....and the start fail
> I am running RH9
> Some hints? Thanks in advance.

try starting Squid manually without sending error messages to
/dev/null...

and you really should replace that init script with a working copy. It is
not a good init script for starting Squid

Problems with the RH init script:

  * It sends errors to /dev/null so you won't be able to figure out why
Squid is not starting. Squid prints error messages on fatal errors
preventing the service from starting but if you send these to /dev/null
you will be blind.

  * RH got their own service locking strategy wrong and you may need to
manually delete a lock file if the Squid service crashes for some reason
or else the init script will refuse to restart Squid even if it clearly
finds that Squid is no longer running..

I would suggest trying the init script shipped with Squid as a replacement
for the RH init script.