[squid-users] Load Balancing Content Types

From: Darryn Lowe <ssnrlmot@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:21:04 +1000

Hi,

I'm new to many of the options within Squid, so I would appreciate any
help with the following scenario.

I have network wherein the squid proxy connects to the Internet via two
parent proxies.

             /-----< ISDN <----< Parent Proxy #1

   Squid <---+
   Proxy |
             \-----< ADSL <----< Parent Proxy #2

Parent Proxy #1 (over the IDSN line) is monitored by an
organisation-wide content filtering process. Although the simple
solution is to simply use this link alone, the cost required to upgrade
it to the required capacity is prohibitive.

Parent Proxy #2 (over the ADSL line) is a high capacity multi-megabit
connection that, while lacking any filtering capability, is cheap and
fast.

Hence, what I would like to do is have Parent Proxy #2 used for any
non-textual content (e.g. image files, audio files, etc) while Parent
Proxy #1 is used for generic HTML.

Therefore, is it possible to have Squid change parent proxies based on
the content type of the requested URL? How do I do this?

Finally, are there any other options to balance the load over these two
connections? The ideal solution would appear to have all requests go
through to Parent Proxy #1 and then, when the squid proxy received a
HTTP response that suggested the desired URL is accessible, the request
would be dropped and then re-made via Parent Proxy #2.

Any and all comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Darryn.