[squid-users] IE weirdness with PPP

From: Alan Lehman <alehman@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 00:02:23 -0500

I recently added a PPP dialin server on my network on which I have a
Squid proxy box. The dialin clients can browse the internet with Mozilla
via Squid. They can also ping and telnet to the Squid box. IE6 however
gets no response from Squid. Unfortunately our company policy requires
we use IE on the clients.

The same client systems works fine with IE via the same Squid box when
directly connected to the local network and using the same proxy
configuration.

Running tcpdump on the Squid box shows the request from IE is being
recieved, but there is no response from Squid. Netstat never shows a
connection.

/etc/ppp/options:
auth -chap +pap login modem crtscts proxyarp debug lock
ms-dns 172.16.4.50
ms-wins 172.16.4.57

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Alan Lehman