Re: [squid-users] IE weirdness with PPP

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <mcc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 08:57:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Alan Lehman wrote:

> I recently added a PPP dialin server on my network on which I have a
> Squid proxy box. The dialin clients can browse the internet with Mozilla
> via Squid. They can also ping and telnet to the Squid box. IE6 however
> gets no response from Squid. Unfortunately our company policy requires
> we use IE on the clients.
>
> The same client systems works fine with IE via the same Squid box when
> directly connected to the local network and using the same proxy
> configuration.

Sometime ago I ran accross an article in Microsoft's Knowledgebase that
indicated that Internet Explorer ignores proxy settings that had been
established while the system was connected when the system is connected via
a dial-up connection. For systems connected via a dial-up to use automatic
detection, the DNS method of detection needed to be used, i.e. you need to
have WPAD defined in your domain's zone file that is a CNAME for a web
server that has a "proxy.dat" file in its document root directory.

There was also a caveat for Windows 2000 that the file name be all lower
case.

Merton Campbell Crockett

--
BEGIN:				vcard