Re: [squid-users] FTP question

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:12:23 +0200

Hi, John...

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 09:05:49AM -0400, John Hally wrote:
> I'm new to the group, please don't flame me if this is to obvious a
> question.

It's a hard time on the internet currently. Everybody is using a
disclaimer like this. Squid-Users is a friendly list. ;)

> Can I use Squid as an ftp proxy for ftp clients such as WS_FTP
> Pro? I have it working for http/ftp through a browser, and see entries in
> the logs for reqests, but I keep getting denied when trying to push an FTP
> client through.

Squid is obviously not an FTP proxy server. However you can use the
CONNECT method to tunnel FTP ports through. I don't know about WS_FTP
Pro but the FTP client I'm recommending at work is SmartFTP (shareware,
too). You then need to allow all CONNECT requests for a specific URL
(limiting the ports does not work).

For downloads you can of course also just use any FTP client that is
HTTP proxy capable. But uploads or other actions (like deletions) are
too tricky to work satisfiably with Squid.

Let me know if you have trouble with that setup.

 Christoph

--
~
~