[squid-users] do I need a reverse proxy?

From: Brett Lymn <blymn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 23:00:27 +0930

Folks,
        Some people here want to set up a web portal type system for
sharing documents with external people, all external access will be
via https connections only. The way these people are talking the
other things they want to do (that are for internal only) would turn
my internal->dmz firewall into swiss-chees. On the basis of this I am
thinking that rather than have the machine in the DMZ I would rather
have the machine inside our network and provide https access to the
external parties. My initial thoughts are using a squid reverse proxy
to do this but I am wondering if just a "normal" squid with the ACL's
set right would be better - I don't think I care about rewriting
headers (though I may just be ignorant here), nor do I care about
server pooling as I am dealing with a single machine. So, do I need
a reverse proxy type squid at all or can I get away with the normal
sort?

--
Brett Lymn