[squid-users] Authentication Question

From: OTR Comm <otrcomm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 20:32:19 -0700

Hello,

I have my squid configuration set to require authentication.

Does anyone know how squid physically puts the box up resquesting the
username and password? I know squid passes the information put inot
this box to the selected authentication program (like ncsa_auth), but
how does squid make the box display in the first place?

I would like to know this down at code level if possible. That is, what
routine displays the login box and sends the information to the
authentication program.

I am using ncsa_auth, and when I run the binary that compiled with squid
from the command line with my passwordfile as an argument, i.e.,

./ncsa_auth /usr/local/squid/etc/passwd

it waits for me to enter a username/password pair separated by a space.
If the username authenticates, ncsa_auth comes bake with OK.

Now I assume that squid slurps in the username/password pair and calls
ncsa_auth with the passwordfile and then passes the usrname/password
pair and waits for the response. I just need to know where squid is
doing all of this.

Thank you,
Murrah Boswell

--
*Before I criticize a man, I walk a mile in his shoes.
 That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.