[squid-users] Website Logon/Timeout Problem (Help me beat Microsoft! - Please)

From: <larry.walker@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 15:03:21 +0100

We have installed Squid on one of our school servers and it is fast,
very fast.
Unfortunately we can't switch to it just yet as we have a problem.
When we are on a web site that requires us to log on eg
username/password - once we press submit the system just hangs
doesn't want to know. We can get onto sites but if that site requires a
logon it's just no go.
We are desperate to move onto squid (and move away from *Microsoft*) but
until we resolve this issue we can't.

Some information about our Squid setup:

Installed to Linux server.

Linux – distribution is Clarkconnect (CC) 1.3 - which is Redhat 7.3. (we
do not know Linux and wanted a turnkey solution). CC offers 2 choices –
gateway and stand alone. Gateway installs firewall which is not required
and adds complications in client setup. So we have set up as stand alone
and added 2nd NIC for external access and then only installed Squid. To
best of knowledge there is no firewall or other software installed.

Squid – installed using apt-get from clarkconnect. Version 2.4. Not
running in transparent mode (clients are all explicitly pointing to the
proxy server via W2K GPO). Have tried installing 2.5 (in case of SSL
problems) but wanted dependent applications and lack of Linux knowledge
prevented further investigation and see below for SSL workround failure.

Our proxy looks upstream to a parent proxy server at our ISP.

Clients – in IE (or Mozilla – same problems occur with both) – proxy is
set to point to the proxy server and port. We have tried pointing the
SSL proxy to a different proxy server which should work ('cos it does
when all settings point to it) - but it does not. [All Clients do work
with identical settings (except ip and port) when pointing at MS Proxy,
Netscape Proxy and Mailtraq Proxy servers].

We have posted on CC forums without success.

Problem exists on the following url:
http://www.clarkconnect.com/forums/search.php?Catenter a subject and
then click submit - client hangs. Same with several login pages/scripts
on other websites.

Does anyone know the answer?

Many thanks for any help in resolving this matter.

Larry Walker
Network Manager, St Bede's School, Redhill.