[squid-users] proxy.pac - proxy autoconfiguration problem

From: Marc Dreher <MarcDreher@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 18:16:57 +0200 (MEST)

Hi everybody,

I have a problem which is driving me nuts. It is not really squid related
but involves quid :-)
We are using a proxy auto configuration file to control access to different
urls.

the function FindProxyForURL starts as follows:
// get Client IP
  var userIp = myIpAddress ();

then later on I have an exception like:
if ( shExpMatch (userIp, "172.18.*") ) { return "DIRECT" ; }
else { return "PROXY prx-02.mydomain.com;}

The problem now is, that the browser does not capture the userIp that I
would expect.
The network situation is the following:
A Windows user connects to an ISP using a dialup conection. Then he
espablishes a VPN connection over this dial up link. As a result the user has two
assigned IP adresses, one from the ISP and one from the VPN server. Both are
dhcp addresses.
Now after the VPN connection is established the users VPN-IP is the default
gateway. If I fire up the browser now an start surfing I would expect the
VPN IP to show up in the variable userIp. But it does not. What shows up is the
ISP-IP address. It seems to me that the browser takes the IP listed first
in ipconfig as the current IP. When I look at the routing the metrics for the
VPN IP gateway is lower that that for the ISP-IP, so here also I would expect
 the VPN-IP (172.18.something) to take precedence. For obvious reasons I
want the VPN IP in my if statement and not the ISPs dhcp address.
Has anybody experienced something similar before or does anybody actually
know if there is something I can do about this?

Thanks a lot

Marc