Re: [squid-users] log_fqdn

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:05:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Vladimir Dyakov wrote:

> Is there any way to increase timeout of dns lookups? There's nothing in
> faq and docs about that. Or maybe to decrease the timeout but set some
> requerying?

There is no timeout. If the lookup has not finished before the request is
finished no domain will be logged.

You can make Squid wait for the lookup via http_access as done below.

> >What you can do to give the DNS some more slack is to use a dummy
> >src_domain acl in http_access.
> >
> >Just before where you allow the request, use a construct like this:
> >
> >acl lookup_client_domain src_domain .nowhere
> >http_access deny lookup_client_domain
>
> What does src_domain do? I found nothing in internet about it. I just
> cannot take experiments over working company with 30 computers - they
> all will kill me ;) Doesn't it suppress domain lookups for .nowhere net?
> If yes, then it' just opposite to what I need. I need clients hostnames
> to be stored in access.log instead of their ips.

Sorry, I meant srcdomain not src_domain.

The meaning of srcdomain can be found in the squid.conf documentation in
squid.conf.default, the Squid Users Guide and numerous other places if it
is not obvious from the name what the ACL matches..