[squid-users] Squid is running out of filedescriptors in Mac OSX Server!

From: MM <micke@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 01:38:24 +0200

Hi all!

Have seen in the FAQ and also in the mailarchives that running out of
filedescriptors is not very uncommon. But I haven't seen anyone writing
about this issue in Mac OSX Server.

We run Squid as a http-accelerator and when our webserver is very busy,
Squid keeps saying:
        WARNING! Your cache is running out of filedescriptors

In Mac OS X Server when you run the command sysctl -a you see that:
        kern.maxfiles = 32768

That is also recognized by Squid when you ./configure:
        checking Maximum number of filedescriptors we can open... 32768

But the funny thing, is that when you start Squid, you see in the
cache-log:
        With 1024 file descriptors available

So, the problem here seems that Squid "forgets" that it has 32768
filedescriptors when running...

Can anyone advise?

Regards,
Micke Moggia