[squid-users] Re: Authentication data...

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 12:06:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Boniforti Flavio wrote:

> How is the username treated in it's whole process (from the input window
> on the client's side to squid itself)? I mean, is it stored somewhere?
> In a variable? Is this variable accessible in some way?

As I said the client software (i.e. browser) sends the username as part of
the request (except for NTLM authentication which is different as it is
not a HTTP authentication scheme).

The authenticated username is available within Squid like given
previously.

Outside Squid the username is also available to

a) Redirector helpers

b) external_acl helpers

c) origin servers or parent proxy servers using the cache_peer login=
option.

> > In what context?
>
> I would like to have a page in PHP which could tell _who_ is actually
> logged on to my squid proxy.

There is no concept of login/logout in HTTP. The user authenticates once
per request. The login session is maintained by your browser only.

What you can have is what users have accessed the proxy in the last X
minutes or so. The easiest way to accomplish this is to use a external
database of active users and a external_acl helper which updates this
database. You can then access that database from PHP as usual.