Re: [squid-users] Squid is running out of filedescriptors in Mac OSX Server!

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <mcc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:58:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, MM wrote:

> Hi again!
>
> It's seems that noone on this list have a clue about this. But does
> anyone know where you can turn to get some answers? Are there other
> resources? Are there consultants that are experts in Squid? Yes we can
> pay for some support. I guess this is the downside of Open Source...
>
> Getting desperate... Are using Squid in production...

Under the hood, Mac OS X is BSD Unix. You need to look at /etc/login.conf
or something similar that defines the resources available to certain user
classes. The Kernel may have 32K file descriptors but the "user" under
which you are running Squid doesn't.

You may need to adjust the resource limits in /etc/login.conf for the
login class that Squid "user" runs under. Alternatively, you may need to
create a Squid start-up script that provides explicit, manual overrides
for resources needed by Squid.

Merton Campbell Crockett

--
BEGIN:				vcard