Re: [squid-users] SUPPORT ASSISTENCE

From: Schelstraete Bart <bart@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 13:22:38 +0200

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Schelstraete Bart wrote:
>

>>Why do you want to use a access.log file which is bigger then 1,5Gb??
>>This is NOT good for the perfomance.
>>

>Squid performance does not really care,

Yes , and no.

Like you said, the squid performance itself won't decrease because it's
just 'adding' entries to that logfile.
But after a while you need to do something with that logfile (I think
everybody needs to look at the access logfiles to chck something)...it
can't stay increasing forever. One reason is for example the 2 Gb
filesize limit on most systems.
Another thing: Most users want to check the logfile, and Squid isn't
always running on 'state of the art' machines. And if you then want to
do something with that huge logfile, you can have some 'serious
problems'.It will take ages to open that logfile (some program will fail
to open that file), and it will take a very, very long time to compress
that logfile, etc,etc.
I don't see any advantages why you should keep such big access logfiles.
(but maybe there are some reasons, I dunnow)

I'm rotating my logfiles *every day*, and keep them for one week.
(compressed). After that the logfiles older then one week are deleted
from the server, but are still available on backup (and on 'reporting
server). I - personally - think that this is the best way.

rgrds,

          Bart